Tokat Museum was founded in 1926 in Gök Medrese, a historical building that was built in 1277 under the supervision of Muiniddin Süleyman Pervane Bey; the Museum originally housed historical items collected by Halis Cinlioglu, a retired teacher. Gök Medrese served as a theological school and a hospital during the Anatolian Seljuks; it is a two-storey building constructed around a central courtyard, featuring two lean-on roofs and porch.
Gök Medrese underwent restoration and redesign work in 1982, as a result of which the building was reopened as a museum, with various archaeological and ethnographical collections.
In exhibition rooms are architectural remains, bone, metal, stone and baked clay artefacts from Bronze, Hittite and Iron ages discovered in Masat Höyük (Zile) excavations; goods from Hanözü excavations, as well as items from Christianity era and other ethnographical items. Historically invaluable coins and ornamental items are also among precious collections the Museum houses. In the Museum, items from Anatolian civilizations and those findings from Ulutepe (Turhal) excavations are displayed side by side with items from Roman and Byzantine periods.
Ethnographical items that reflect life around Tokat form a rich collection with traditional clothes and goods for daily use.